In November 2015 we made recordings based on the question chosen by the students, "What is the sound of poverty in Chennai". These results are posted on top.

Previously we asked the question in May 2015: "What is the difference in the sound between the inside and the outside of the conservatory". The question in December 2015 then became "What is the sound of poverty in Chennai" In so doing, we investigated the relations that give meaning to the sounds and music around us as students and teachers and engaged with the city of Chennai.


Monday, January 4, 2016

This post is by Diploma 2 student at KMMC Sukanyan Sunthareswaran:

This post is by Diploma 2 student at KMMC Sukanyan Sunthareswaran:
Soundscaping- After Chennai Flood 2015:


This recording has been made after the heavy flood that happened in Chennai in November 2015. I got this recording from the surroundings of my house in Madipakkam. Due to the flood, the entire Chennai was in water. There was a lake near my house. That got filled and water came into our houses. So I thought I would be interesting to capture the sound of flowing water in the streets and lake and the sound of water dripping and bullfrogs crying in my house compound. I recorded this soundscape at 2 am in the morning. One interesting thing was that when I was recording at the lakeside with my MacBook, headphones, microphones and etc. a police patrol vehicle came near us. Few police men came out of he van and started to chase me out of that place. Then somehow I convinced them to do the rest of the recording. I started the recording from the lake and walked till my house. In the recording there will be frogs creeping, dogs chasing a mouse on the street, water flowing in the street, vehicle pass by, fishes jumping in the water accumulated in my house compound, and other sounds.





No comments:

Post a Comment